Thursday, June 5, 2008

A VERY special day


Today is my birthday. I'm one of those adults who still thinks she's 5 when it comes to birthdays. I LOVE them--especially my own. I usually try to celebrate it for at least a week--with a different kind of cake each day, of course.

Last year, I didn't really care about my birthday. I was packing and looking forward to meeting my son for the first time (more to come on that in my June 11 post). This year, I thought I'd be right back to my week-long-celebrating self, but I'm not. I'll be going out to dinner with some friends tomorrow, but today is all about Andrew and me.

Today is the day that he has been home with me as long as he was in Guatemala. I can't believe we have come to this milestone already. It seems like he just came home and it seems like he's been here forever.

We're going to dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant to have rice-and-beans and tacos. Maybe we'll even have some fried ice cream. Yum. Our friend Patti is going with us. She was such a huge support during the whole adoption process. She's the one who said to me at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon, "You could get the call any minute. Maybe he's being born right now." He was. I later found out he was born 10 minutes after she said that. How's that for support? :)


Here are some of my favorite pictures of Andrew since he's been home.




























Here's how we spent our day.
We had breakfast together at Panera. I didn't have students today so I went in a few minutes late. Andrew flirted with the people at the next table and enjoyed his banana and bagel with cream cheese.




After work, I picked him up from his last day at daycare for the summer and we ran home before going out to dinner. He couldn't WAIT to get his hands on the birthday balloons. I heard "BVOON!" all the way home. When we got home, I found these BEAUTIFUL flowers outside my door from my wonderful 'sisters', Tara and Kelly.






We had dinner with our friend Patty at our favorite Mexican restaurant. Andrew and Patty thought it was VERY funny to tell the waitress it was my birthday and make me wear the sombrero.












It was a GREAT day!

post signature


6 comments:

  1. How awesome to have 2 great days all wrapped into one! Happy birthday and yay for a big milestone with Andrew. He was such a doll when he came home and he just keeps getting cuter.
    Kerri and Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Happy Happy birthday - it's hard to act like a 5 year old once you've gotten the best gift life has to give! enjoy your week! at least eat more cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious little soul. Congratulations and happy birthday!! Enjoy this special day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Ruthanne! Dinner was such fun because Andrew is so cute and SO happy...and also because it was your birthday :)
    He truly is one of the happiest little guys I know and for good reason...he has you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Happy Birthday Ruthann. I have to say your little man is just adorable! I enjoy your blog and watching him grow up. So sweet.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! Looks like you guys had a great time!

    I love the pics of Andrew in sunglasses. He looks so cool! :)

    ReplyDelete