Sunday, February 13, 2011

Daniel's Family Day

Today is Daniel's first Family Day. There have been a lot of posts about this lately. I just re-read a great one by my friend, Jen.
Today is a day of joy and happiness for me but a day of loss and grief for Daniel and his birth parents. I never want to diminish the pain involved when his first parents decided to make an adoption plan for their child. Nor do I want Daniel to feel that I am forgetting his first family.
Instead, I want us to be able to mark the day that our new family was formed. A day that the three of us began to heal and grow together as a family. We are not a solitary family...we're an extension of our three birth families...mine, Andrew's and Daniel's.

Just as parents love more than one child and children love both of their parents, my sons can love both of their mothers.
The unfortunate truth is that Andrew and Daniel's families could not care for them. I didn't save my boys. They're not lucky to have me. Their families were broken. God made a way for these two little boys to be loved and to love. That is what I celebrate. A new beginning for all three of us. Two little boys from opposite ends of the earth who are now brothers. That is a miracle.








7 comments:

  1. Definitely a miracle! Can't believe it has been a year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! Very well said...made me cry ;( Love it! What a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. So glad all three of you have found each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That IS a miracle. And I love your beautiful family. Well said. Have a sweet, loving Family Day! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crying as I'm reading. Love all of you-and have a great family day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Family Day!!! So wonderful that you are all able to share the love of one another :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. VERY well said, my dear. Happy Family Day!

    ReplyDelete