Monday, May 12, 2008

My 1st Mother's Day


I've been telling Andrew all week, he had his choice of gifts to give me: He could take his first steps or he could say, "mama". (he says 'mama' all the time, but I don't think he knows it's me) Those are fair gifts, right?

We went to church in the pouring rain and then went out for a delicious breakfast of pancakes and hash browns. Most Sundays, Andrew is falling asleep in the car on the way home from church. Today he was wide awake. He finally went down for a nap at 3:00. I quickly dismantled, replaced the wax seal on and repositioned the toilet in my bathroom--fun stuff. Please don't be too jealous. I had just made the final adjustments when Andrew woke up. A 40 minute nap. Was that my gift?

He then proceeded to tear around the condo as fast a non-walking child can and destroy everything in his path. Was that my gift?

At dinner, he threw all his pancakes (I know, pancakes twice in one day--I'm not perfect) on the floor. Was THAT my gift?

At 7:45, I laid him in his crib. He looked up at me with his sleepy little eyes and said, "mama". I don't know if he meant it for me, I don't even know if he understood what he said. But, it made the whole day amazing and I choose to believe that for that one split second, "Mama" meant me.


Here is the 'other' gift he gave me:




These are the flowers and cards I got from my wonderful friends and from my parents:


post signature

6 comments:

  1. That was the perfect Mother's Day gift, one you will never forget. Reading your post was a great way to start my week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day to one of the best mothers that I know in the whole wide world!! Love ya Momma!!! Hearing Andrew call you Momma teared me up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mothers Day!!! Isn't it amazing that just one word can bring such a smile to your heart. It sounds like a perfect mothers day.
    Have a great week
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Mother's Day, Mama!!! What a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could ditto exactly what Tara said!!!!! HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ONE OF THE BEST MOMS I KNOW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am catching up on blog-reading... oh I just teared up... we are walking JUST this week... not stable, but still stepping. I get random words, but occasionally "mama" comes out... priceless...

    Happy Late Mom's Day! he is just SO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete